ADSM-L

DSMC INCR x SEL - have you already used both?

1997-04-18 07:53:04
Subject: DSMC INCR x SEL - have you already used both?
From: nordi <nordi AT NUTECNET.COM DOT BR>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 1997 08:53:04 -0300
Dear ADSM friends,

I do not know if any of you have already experienced this problem when
using DSMC incr x sel. In some way, this is a known "feature" (or a
problem, I do not know) that can lead many of US to a completely different
condition.

The case is that when I run " DSMC SEL ", ADSM does NOT BIND/REBIND the
files, so it DOES NOT check if it is active/inactive.

When I run "DSMC INCR", ADSM DOES the BIND/REBIND and of course, check if a
file has been deleted or not.

Up to now, nothing NEW, but consider the following scenario:

CASE 1

        file /tmp/test.txt

        date   pass     command issued

        1/1/97  1 - DSMC SEL /tmp/test.txt (file will be backed up and set as
        1/1/97  1 - DSMC SEL /tmp/test.txt (file will be backed up and set as
ACTIVE)
        1/13/97         2 - delete the file (rm /tmp/test.txt) Server has the
file as
ACTIVE still.

        1/20/97         3.1 - today (1/20/97), you want to "restore" your
machine, so you
could use DSMC -LATEST. You will get the file /tmp/test.txt. (END OF CASE
1)
***********
***********
CASE 2

        file /tmp/test.txt

        date   pass     command issued

        1/1/97  1 - DSMC SEL  /tmp/test.txt (file will be backed up and set as
        1/1/97  1 - DSMC SEL  /tmp/test.txt (file will be backed up and set as
ACTIVE)
        1/13/97         2 - delete the file (rm /tmp/test.txt) Server has the
fiel as
ACTIVE still.
        1/15/97         3 - DSMC INCR  /tmp/test.txt (file will be backed up
and set as
INACTIVE)

        1/20/97         4 - today (1/20/97), you want to "restore" your
machine, so you
could use DSMC -LATEST. You will NOT get the file /tmp/test.txt. (END OF
CASE 2)

*** So, you should AWARE if the LAST command issued was a INCR whether a
SEL. ***

Again, this is not a problem report. It is much a " beware of the dog ",
since I feel some of us may face this problem (or any other "misuse") of
some commands.

I wish to share my test with you just to give a hint.
 If it is of any help. I will feel OK.

(By the way, have you got any interesting tests like that? You may send it
to me too)

Armando Lemos
Armando Lemos
nordi AT nutecnet.com DOT br