ADSM-L

Re: HP 12000e AutoLoader...

1997-04-09 05:02:50
Subject: Re: HP 12000e AutoLoader...
From: Bradley King <king AT MONTROUGE.GM.SLB DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 1997 10:02:50 +0100
>Has anyone used ADSM with an HP 12000e AutoLoader and Windows NT 4.0 ??
>We are considering purchasing one, and I just wondered if there were any
>potential "GOTCHA'S".  One question in particular is whether the ADSM
For us it was not "gotcha" but "I've had it!"  This may be a personal bias
but we have had very bad luck with this type of DAT hardware. In fact
we had a HP 1553A not the newer 12000e. Primarily questions of reliability
I don't want to badmouth HP, they were very responsive and replaced the
hardware 3 different times, but read/write errors, tapes only half full,
and hardware breakdowns were, for us the rule and not the exception.
In our case, getting 12GB in the box at one time was the best we ever did. I am
sure other folks have had more positive experiences.  We recently replaced
the machine with an Exabyte-210 (not the same price range I know) which
could be considered as somewhat older technology.  The difference in
reliability is incomparably better.

>software can manage the Autoloading feature by itself, or if it still needs
>a third party package to run the autoloader feature?

The 1553a was handled without any difficulty by ADSM, I'm sure its true
of the 12000e as well (Level 1 Device Support is required) ADSM fully controls
the autoloader and has random access to all 6 tapes. As is often said
in this mailing list though, you cannot do migration with a library like
this which has only one drive.

In my opinion for the same capacity as a 12000e you can buy a DLT without
a robot and have a more reliable system, but that's just one person's
opinion.

Bradley King                            Tel: 331.47.46.66.83
Schlumberger Industries GTL             Fax: 331.47.46.72.12
50 ave Jean Jaures
BP 620-13
92542 Montrouge Cedex
France