ADSM-L

Is there space reclamation between stgpools?

1997-04-01 17:49:03
Subject: Is there space reclamation between stgpools?
From: Owen Crow <crow AT SUGAR-LAND.MIS.SLB DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 1997 16:49:03 -0600
I thought space reclamation was only used to move data from a
partially empty volume in a storage pool to an empty or filling
volume in the same storage pool. Today, I found the following
process running:

 Process Process Description  Status

  Number
-------- --------------------
     188 Space Reclamation    Offsite Volume(s) (storage pool DR), Moved
     188 Space Reclamation    Offsite Volume(s) (storage pool DR), Moved
Files:
                               11941, Moved Bytes: 26,960,435,221,
Unreadable
                               Files: 0, Unreadable Bytes: 0. Current File

                               (bytes): 584,636,262
                               Current input volume: H00022.
                               Current output volume: H00062.

And here are the two volumes in question:

Volume Name               Storage      Device      Estimated  %Util   Volume
                          Pool Name    Class Name   Capacity          Status
                                                        (MB)
H00022                    3590BACK     TAPE3590     50,855.1   54.6    Full
H00022                    3590BACK     TAPE3590     50,855.1   54.6    Full
H00062                    DR           TAPE3590     26,790.5  100.0  Filling

I guess I'm just clueless about what's going on here. Why would a
space reclamation take place between storage pools?

Thanks,
Owen Crow
UNIX System Administrator