ADSM-L

Re: Tape or Disk? Sizing question

1997-04-01 17:38:24
Subject: Re: Tape or Disk? Sizing question
From: Jim Bootz <bootz AT ADC DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 1997 16:38:24 CST
Tom,

Sorry, I don't have any restore rates to give you. Under normal conditions,
backing up across an SP switch, we're getting up to 16GB per hour. I just want
to pass on some capacity planning tips. You won't be able to go too far with
the ACF and one drive. Tape reclamation is one reason. There isn't even an 8mm
to move data to, so you'll be going through a lot of tapes. Assuming that you
decide on a 3494 robotic library and 2 or more 3590s, check the number of open
slots you have left on the wide node. We had to move our ADSM server to a high
node so we could run 4 drives on separate SCSI cards. With 4 drives, we can do
reclamation or offsite copies concurrently with our backups (or reclamation and
offsites concurrently). Those are just a few things to look at.

I hope that helps.

Jim Bootz
bootz AT adc DOT com