ADSM-L

Will not process inclexcl file

1997-02-26 14:06:56
Subject: Will not process inclexcl file
From: Joe Morris <morris AT UNC DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 1997 14:06:56 -0500
We're running 2.1.0.5 on Solaris 2.5.1.  Yes, I already know too well that
it is not supported.  It was working fine for months.  Then we had a
system crash (actually someone accidentally pulled the power cord on one
of the SPARC storage arrays).  Anyways, the night after that the backup
time for this host went from 4 hours to 18-24 hours.

Looking through my logs it appears that dsmc is backing-up files it should
not be backing-up that take an extremely long time to backup.  For example
there are several large logging files for SunSITE (2-10MB) that grow
rapidly 24 hours/day.  I had a management class setup so that it would not
to perform a retry operation on these files when they change, but to back
them up regardless on the first try.  No errors in the dsmerror.log.  I
have reinstalled the binaries.

I've gone to great lengths to narrow down the problem.  When I launch
dsmc, it will pick up syntax errors in the inclexcl file, but it does not
adhere to ANY of the rules.  It's as if my inclexcl files does not even
exist.  I have created the same scenarios on other Solaris 2.5.1 hosts
with absolutely no problems--dsmc responds to entries in the inclexcl
file.

I am now stranded.  We must get backups running again on SunSITE.  With
over 60GB of information to backup, we're left with few alternatives if we
can't get ADSM running again on this host.

Joe Morris  -  morris AT unc DOT edu  -  http://sunsite.unc.edu/morris
Academic Technology and Networks (formerly OIT), Development