ADSM-L

Re: Why does dsm think I am root?

1996-12-28 09:25:17
Subject: Re: Why does dsm think I am root?
From: Helmut Richter <Helmut.Richter AT LRZ-MUENCHEN DOT DE>
Date: Sat, 28 Dec 1996 15:25:17 +0100
On Thu, 19 Dec 1996, Vern Maxson wrote:

> I start the dsm GUI from my personal account on an RS/6000.  I did not su
> to it from root, but if I select "Utilities", "Display options", the
> "User ID:" field shows "root<virtual>".  Why does dsm think I am root?

Perhaps you specified the nodename option. That makes ADSM believe you
want to log in as root: the passwordaccess option will not be honoured,
and you will be prompted for the password. If you want to use more than
one nodename without these effects, you have to define more than one
server name: if the nodename is determined via the server name, you may
log in to ADSM as a normal user. AFAIK, these features are undocumented.

Best regards,

Helmut Richter

Dr. Helmut Richter                       Leibniz-Rechenzentrum
Tel:   +49-89-289-28785                  Barer Str. 21
Fax:   +49-89-2809460                    D-80333 Muenchen
Email: Helmut.Richter AT lrz-muenchen DOT de    Germany