ADSM-L

Re: include/exclude problem

1996-12-28 09:20:18
Subject: Re: include/exclude problem
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Sat, 28 Dec 1996 09:20:18 -0500
>does adsm reread the inclexcl file at the time the command is
>executed, or only at the time load dsmc schedule is executed.  Thanks.

A nuisance problem with ADSM client-server scheduling is that dsmc looks at the
client configuration files only when it is first invoked.  Given that the dsmc
process is likely to be alive for days or weeks, you have to always remember to
remove and restart it whenever making a change to these files.
Dsmc should not operate this way: at the most opportune time between actions
it should look for its configuration files having been changed and re-absorb
the specs - the mechanism should be automatic and not depend upon someone having
to remember to manually take unusual action.  I would like to see ADSM Client
Development revise the logic of dsmc schedule processing to improve this.
     Richard Sims, Boston University OIT