ADSM-L

Offsite Volume data reclaimation

1996-12-23 23:56:54
Subject: Offsite Volume data reclaimation
From: Jerry Lawson <jlawson AT ITTHARTFORD DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 1996 23:56:54 -0500
We ran our Expiration processing today, and we got a series of messages on
3 tapes n our copy pool, repeated about 10 times.  The message was
ANR1163W, indicating that a reclaim was attempted on an offsite volume, but
it still contained data.  The explaination of the message goes on to say
that some of the data could not be moved - I assume because the tape is
marked as offsite.

I am confused, however, since I was under the impression that data in
copypools backed real data on tapes or disk in our primary pools, and that
as long as the primary files had not been lost, that reclaimation of tapes
in the copy pools was done via copying data from the original pools.  Am I
missing something?   Can someone explain more about what is going on - why
this happened?  (More than what is in the message manual about how to
recover the data).

Jerry Lawson
jlawson AT itthartford DOT com