ADSM-L

Re: Include/exclude processing question

1996-12-23 18:30:10
Subject: Re: Include/exclude processing question
From: Francisco Reyes <reyes01 AT IBM DOT NET>
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 1996 18:30:10 -0500
On Mon, 23 Dec 1996 15:41:37 -0500, Wayne T. Smith wrote:

>We have a couple of systems where we exclude entire subtrees with very
>simple include/exclude statements, yet an incremental backup spends an
>inordinate amount of time rummaging around subdirectories where is
>cannot possibly have anything useful to do.  For example, one subtree
>with 250,000 files in it caused 90+ minutes of client cpu crunching.

I got a reply to my question from Richard Flagg (Thanks Richard!) I
had read this before I guess I just didn't want to remember. <g>
This is something I sincerely hope they are working on to improve.

From your posts it seems you are in an Unix system. Does ADSM require
you do your backup as root? If not, couldn't you limit the user so it
doesn't have access to those directories at all?