ADSM-L

MVS to AIX migration

1996-12-11 10:56:54
Subject: MVS to AIX migration
From: Jim White <jwwhite AT SRP DOT GOV>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 07:56:54 -0800
Hello all,
Is there anyone who has moved their ADSM server from MVS to AIX that
would be willing to share their business case for doing so?
Specifically, how did you justify the $$$$ for making the move???  We
are in the process of developing a business case (and having a difficult
time at it), and have identified several expected benefits of rehosting
ADSM, which include:

1. Better performance (due to dedicated resources)
2. Improved resource availability (won't have to schedule ADSM
processing
   around 2x monthly MVS outages, ADSM won't have to "compete" for tape
   drives with other MVS processes)
3. Increased flexibility (won't have to worry about as many software
   dependencies that can delay ADSM server upgrades, won't have to worry
   that running backups/restores during prime time will degrade MVS
   performance)
4. Improved disaster recovery (theoretically easier/faster to build an
   operational ADSM/AIX server from scratch than an ADSM/MVS server)

The problem is, it's very hard to assoicate dollars with these benefits,
and  building an ADSM/AIX server from scratch is NOT CHEAP!  The only
thing we have been able to associate dollars with is that moving ADSM
would defer an MVS upgrade for a little longer.

I'd sure appreciate hearing from someone that has "been there and done
that" on this issue...

Thanks is advance,
Jim White
SRP