ADSM-L

Re: ADSM Device availability after a reboot

1996-12-11 11:09:04
Subject: Re: ADSM Device availability after a reboot
From: Paul Zarnowski <VKM AT CORNELLC.CIT.CORNELL DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 11:09:04 EST
On Wed, 11 Dec 1996 14:31:54 +0000 P.A Walmsley said:
>I have been running ADSM for some time now on RS6K box running AIX4.1.4.
>Today was the first time I had to reboot the box since installing ADSM.
>(nothing to do with ADSM I must add).
>
>After the reboot the ADSM server on this box reported that the DLT4700
>unit, both library and driv, were not initialised. After probing around
>I discovered that the devices were marked as defined rather than
>available
>in the ODM.
>
>e.g.
>
>lsdev -Cc library
>
>gave
>
>lb0 Defined 00-04-00-0,1 ADSM library
>
>To fix the problem I issued a 'mkdev' command which made them
>available.
>
>Has anybody else seen this type of problem before?
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>Paul Walmsley

Yes.  We use the following script to make these devices available again.
This is run just before bringing up dsmserv.  This is in Rexx, but should
give you a good idea of what needs to be done.     ..Paul
--
#!/usr/local/bin/rxx
#!/usr/local/bin/rxx

/*
   adsm.device.configure - configure ADSM devices that don't come up as
                           available, just defined.
*/

'/etc/lsdev -C -s scsi -S d'
q = queued()
xrc = popen('/etc/lsdev -C -s scsi -S d')
do while (queued() > q)
  parse pull dev state .
  select
    when (state <> "Defined") then iterate
    when (left(dev,2) = "lb") then nop
    when (left(dev,2) = "mt") then nop
    otherwise iterate
    end
  '/etc/mkdev -l' dev
  end
'/etc/lsdev -C -s scsi | /bin/sort -k3'
--
Paul Zarnowski                     Phone:   607/255-4757
Paul Zarnowski                     Phone:   607/255-4757