ADSM-L

Re: EXPORT MVS server to AIX server

1996-11-06 23:54:24
Subject: Re: EXPORT MVS server to AIX server
From: Paul Zarnowski <VKM AT CORNELLC.CIT.CORNELL DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 1996 23:54:24 EST
On Sun, 3 Nov 1996 13:39:13 -0500 Debra Young said:
>                     Is there a 'simple' way to export the MVS data and
>import it to the AIX server, since I can't use the same tapes.

Debra,

This isn't really what you asked, but I wanted to make sure you were aware
that another option is to attach one 3490E drive to your new AIX ADSM
server.  If you are sharing your 3494 between MVS and AIX, this means you
would have to remove a 3490E from MVS (or buy a new one - yucko), and
attach it to your AIX ADSM server.  This would then give you a media type
(3490E) which is common to both ADSM/MVS and ADSM/AIX, and you would then
be able to (1) backup your MVS ADSM database, (2) restore it to your new
AIX ADSM server, (3) checkout volumes from MVS, and (4) check them in to
your AIX server.  I believe this would work (and am sure that others will
tell me if I'm wrong!).  Then, over time, you can do a MOVE DATA to move
all of the data off of 3490E volumes and onto MagStar volumes.  All new
backup data could be sent directly to MagStar voluemes.  After you have
vacated all of the 3490E volumes, you could then move the 3490E drive back
to your MVS system.  Now...  to do this, you will have to get the appropriate
adapters to connect the 3490E drive to your RS/6000.

Whether this makes sense for you will probably depend on things like how
much data you have to move, how feasible it is to move a 3490E drive between
MVS and AIX, whether you can afford to borrow the 3490E drive, etc.

I guess another option would be to do a similar thing, but in reverse.
Instead of moving a 3490E drive to AIX, you could attach a MagStar drive to
MVS, and migrate your ADSM data from 3490E to MagStar BEFORE you move ADSM
from MVS to AIX.  Attaching MagStar to MVS would require something other than
a SCSI interface on the MagStar drive, however, and I don't know how expensive
or feasible it would be to convert the MagStar drive from SCSI to ESCON and
back.  Your IBM support folks should be able to help you answer this.

Paul Zarnowski                     Phone:   607/255-4757
Cornell Information Technologies   Fax:     607/255-6523
Cornell University                 US Mail: 315 CCC, Ithaca, NY 14853-2601