ADSM-L

ADSM and SQL-BackTrack

1996-10-18 20:15:42
Subject: ADSM and SQL-BackTrack
From: Cyndie Behrens <cbehrens AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 20:15:42 EDT
The problem is that unless the data becomes inactive on the ADSM server,
it will never go away..if you are using a backup copygroup.  It appears
that SQL-BackTrack used archive copygroups in their first version, but
V2 gives you a choice between backup and archive copygroups.

I believe EBU and our Oracle Backup Agent use backup copygroups, so this
will be a problem with this support as well.

With the normal b/a client, when the file gets deleted on the client,
the copies on the ADSM server become inactive.  With the API client, there
is no way for the ADSM server to know which objects have been deleted, unless
the api application tells ADSM the objects are deleted.  DB2/6000 had to
write a special utility to ensure that the clean up of the ADSM server storage
was done....I don't see why this wouldn't be a problem with the other
api applications, unless they exclusively use archive copygroups.
Cyndie Behrens (IBM - San Jose)