ADSM-L

HPFS to NTFS restores

1996-10-07 15:25:44
Subject: HPFS to NTFS restores
From: Jerry Lawson <jlawson AT ITTHARTFORD DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 1996 15:25:44 -0400
Date:     October 7, 1996            Time:    13:24
From:    Jerry Lawson
    ITT Hartford Insurance Group
    (860) 547-2960    jlawson AT itthartford DOT com
I am confused (again) - some say this is my normal state....
I am confused (again) - some say this is my normal state....

I thought that the Version 2 clients supported cross platform restores within
the Intel processor world.  I know I can't go to/from Unix, Mac, etc.  - but I
thought OS/2 to NT was OK.

One of my customers has several OS/2 based Lotus Notes Servers that we back up
with the OS/2 V2 client.  This weekend, he did a conversion of a very large
(17GB) server - from OS/2 HPFS to NT with NTFS.  The server consisted of 4 -
4GB drives for databases, although none were over half full.  Most of the
files were restored with no problem, but we ran into one directory where we
kept receiving messages that read "Client Aborted Transaction".  These were in
the GUI results window - no message id was given, and nothing was logged to
either the dsmerror.log, or to the server.  We received this message on a file
named style.wld after we had done a restore by subdirectory branch.  We tried
many things, but eventually settled on a restore by dataset name of style.wld
for all subdirectories, and then did a dataset level restore of *.* and
excluded style.wld manually.   There were many other combinations
unsuccessfully tried before we came upon this one.

In the heat of the failure, we opened a problem with the support center, but
they had no similar hits.  Today, I received a call back, and the gentleman I
talked to said that what we were trying to do was not supported.  This caught
me by surprise because I thought it was - especially for an operating system
such as NT 3.51 which supports both HPFS and NTFS.  I thought I recall
statements to the effect that restores across platform on Intel based
platforms (except for NetWare) were OK.

Does anyone have any ideas what is causing my problems?

Supporting Trivia:

    operating system - NT 3.51, service pack 4
      Target drive size 4GB
    ADSM level - 2.1.0.3
    total number of files to restore - approximately 250
    Memory on NT machine - 64Mb
    ADSM Server - MVS V2.1.0.7

BTW - last week he did this successfully on a smaller (5GB) server with no
problems.

Signed:
Perplexed in Hartford
Jerry Lawson