ADSM-L

OpenMail & ADSM

1996-09-30 18:43:42
Subject: OpenMail & ADSM
From: EPeterso <EPeterso AT SCJ DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 1996 17:43:42 -0500
Is anyone out there backing up an OpenMail Server with ADSM?  I'm doing
mine now, but I'm about to exclude the "/users" filesystem from ADSM
processing because a restore of this filesystem takes forever just to
examine all of the files.  And of course I'm being pressured by
OpenMail administrators to improve restore times.  It seems that
whenever there is a problem, I must restore the entire 2GB filesystem.
They tell me that there is no way to identify an individual users mail.

Is your ADSM database filled with hundreds of thousands of files for
the /users filesystem?  How long does it take for you to do your incremental?

I'm running ADSM V2.1.0.3 on an RS/6000 C10, with enough disk to handle
a nightly backup without kicking off a migration, and its taking me 8 -
10 hours to inspect  approxiamately 225,000 files, backup 60,000, &
delete 45,000.  This is happening just about every night.  Do you see
the same types of numbers?

Any experiences that can be shared will be greatly appreciated.

Elvin Peterson
S.C. Johnson Wax
epeterso AT scj DOT com