ADSM-L

ADSM performance

1996-09-24 11:49:53
Subject: ADSM performance
From: Mark Mazur <mmazur AT MICROAGEWNY DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 1996 08:49:53 -0700
Hello,
     We are running ADSM on an 9672-r32 mainframe with MVS/ESA v4.3 using
a 3172 control unit with an ESCON adapter. We are backing up mainly
Novell v3.11 servers on either T/R 16 Mbps or ETHERNET 10 Mbps, using two
3494 tape drives. The problem we are having concerns extremely slow
backup/restore times on the larger servers (15-20Gb). We tested a restore
of 1.5Gb of data on a server with a 486/66 cpu and it took 4 hours to
complete. What concerns us is if we had to do a restore of an entire 15Gb
server. It appears this would take an enormous amount of time. We were
wondering if there was any way we could tweak either ADSM, Novell or MVS
to improve performance? Here's the route our restores take:

3494 tape => ESCON => 3172 => T/R LAN => Server @ 700kb/sec transfer rate

                              ROUTER

                         ETHERNET LAN => Server @ 900kb/sec transfer rate

Any suggestions on how to improve our performance would be appreciated.
Mark Mazur