ADSM-L

Re: ADSM performance

1996-09-24 21:30:15
Subject: Re: ADSM performance
From: "Paul C. Beck" <beckpau AT IBM DOT NET>
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 1996 20:30:15 EST
Addressed to: "ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU>
              Multiple recipients of list ADSM-L <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU>

** Reply to note from Mark Mazur <mmazur AT MICROAGEWNY DOT COM>         Tue,
24 Sep 1996 08:49:53 -0700

>>     We are running ADSM on an 9672-r32 mainframe with MVS/ESA v4.3 using
>>  a 3172 control unit with an ESCON adapter. We are backing up mainly
>>  Novell v3.11 servers on either T/R 16 Mbps or ETHERNET 10 Mbps, using two
>>3494 tape drives. The problem we are having concerns extremely slow

Mark,

   You might check the following, to improve restore performance:

     Turn collocation on - this stores data belonging to a given fileset on a
smaller
number of tapes.  May backup performance somewhat but, greatly improves
restores.

     To improve backup performance, and reduce negative impact collocation may
have on
backups, make sure you have enough DASD to buffer I/O between the network and
your tape
storage pools.

20:29:32    09/24/96
20:29:32    09/24/96