ADSM-L

Handling Copy Storage Pool Tapes

1996-09-05 22:43:42
Subject: Handling Copy Storage Pool Tapes
From: Frank Rehor <Frank.Rehor AT CLOROX DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 1996 19:43:42 -0700
Hi,

A novice question:

We do daily incrementals and force a weekly full backup of our (so far!)
only client.  We create copy storage pool tapes after each backup, update
the access to 'Offsite', put them in canisters and ship them out.  The
daily canisters are offsite for 8 days and the weekly canisters are offsite
for 30 days.  The question is what to do when the tapes come back.  I can
update the access to 'Readwrite' and let attrition and reclaim take care of
the tapes.  This would be a manual process unless somehow I could retain
the tape vol sers from CA-1's pull process and feed it back into the 'UPD
VOL' command.  Could I use the 'DEL VOL' command with 'DISCARDDATA=YES'?
Would ADSM then consider the tape volume empty and tell CA-1 to reuse it?
I suppose that this would also be a manual process unless I could somehow
pass the tape vol sers to the command.

What do others do to handle the returned offsite tapes?  Thanks, in
advance, for any suggestions.

Frank Rehor

The Clorox Services Co.

frank.rehor AT clorox DOT com