ADSM-L

Re: 3590 High Performance Tape Subsystem with the Magstar

1996-08-08 21:44:21
Subject: Re: 3590 High Performance Tape Subsystem with the Magstar
From: Michael Louie <michael.louie AT CORP.VARIAN DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 1996 18:44:21 -0700
John,

We are using SAP Backup Utility to run offline on the weekend and online
daily. SAP Backup Utility works great with IBM's Backint and ADSM. These are
good tools and very simple to use. We see the same rate (7GB/hr for a single
stream) for both offline and online backup during the off hours.

It is a miracle when SAP responses to anything.

I have raised the issue of interleaving backup sessions to a single tape
with IBM. They gave me the same answer. Our SAP System will be 24 by 7 next
year. The 3590 tape drive is just too expensive. I am viewing alternative
solutions.

Michael Louie
Varian Associates
415-424-5055