ADSM-L

Re: limits on clients

1996-04-02 05:03:16
Subject: Re: limits on clients
From: Bob Douglas <bob.douglas AT COMPUTING-SERVICES.OXFORD.AC DOT UK>
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 1996 10:03:16 +0000
>Does anyone else have the need to limit by policy  the amount of
>data that a given client can store in a server?

Quotas (particularly for archive, but also for backup) is high on
our wish list. Although we do backup without quotas, we find that
some people have learned to `cheat' (I won't say how!) and store
under backup much more data than they hold locally. We believe
(in a bureau environment) that we cannot offer archive at all
without implementing some sort of quota lash-up outside ADSM.

We would much rather have a quota system within ADSM. It would
probably be (should be!!) much more reliable than an external
system, as well as more elegant and less work for us.

Bob Douglas
Oxford University