ADSM-L

ADSM deadlock on ADIC 1200C...

1996-04-02 09:15:49
Subject: ADSM deadlock on ADIC 1200C...
From: Martin Wendel <Martin.Wendel AT ITS.UU DOT SE>
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 1996 16:15:49 +0200
I'm trying to connect an ADIC 1200C (single drive, 12x4mm tape library)
to our ADSM server. It seems ADSM is too optimistic about the time it
takes for the drive to unmount a tape. When trying to do a dsmlabel
operation the following happens:

1. The library loads the tape into the drive.
2. ADSM labels the tape, OK.
3. The drive starts to unmount the tape.
4. 2 seconds later the library arm tries to unload the tape back into the
   magazine. The tape is still in the drive, however, so the situation calls
   for manual intervention. The library is now deadlocked.

As I see it, ADSM should wait at least 60 seconds (that's the minimum time
it takes for the drive to unmount a tape) after sending the unmount to the
drive before it sends a request to the library to unload the tape.

Anyone got a suggestion?