ADSM-L

Database Dumping

2015-10-04 18:16:27
Subject: Database Dumping
From: Jerry Lawson at TISDMAIL
From: INTERNET.OWNERAD at SNADGATE
To: higmx.oas at SNADGATE
To: Jerry Lawson at TISDMAIL
Date: 3/20/96 7:51AM
Date: 3/19/96 4:28PM
Some good questions - I'm not sure I can answer all of them, but I'll answer
those that I can.....

1.  Yes, it will.  One "gotcha" I found - I recently consolidated all of my
extents down into a new DB.  Before I did this, I backed up the old DB.  (MVS
Version 2 server).  When I was done, everything looked good, so I just let the
nightly Incremental scheduled backup run.  Next day I looked to see if it
completed, and found that the Incremental had failed, because the DB appeared
to be 100% changed, and it REQUIRED a Full backup.

BTW, I would expect that if you added extents to your DB, but didn't actually
expand into them yet, then the backup might not take much longer than before
you added them.

2 and 3 - Good questions - I don't know on these.  I wouldn't expect the dump
to do any pruning of the DB.  By chance, was a Expire Inventory process
running at the same time?  That might explain the lower number of entries.  As
for the size of the file, I don't take much stock inestimated file
sizes.......

4.  Volume History files are records of all of the Tape activities associated
with ADSM.   These include not only new storage tapes for migrations, but also
tape deletions for reclaims, etc. Export tapes, and Dump volumes.  If you do
not have an external Volume History file, the information is kept in the DB.
It is recommended that you allocate a Vol History file on a separate volume,
so if the DB is lost, you can recover the DB entries for the files that have
been moved to/from ape, etc.

BTW, they are flat files in an MVS environment - just add a statement to the
Server Options file, and then allocate the data sets (or let ADSM do it, but I
don't recommend that as a permanent solution, as you'll most likely be on a sc
ratch volume.)

Hope this helps
Jerry Lawson
jlawson AT itthartford DOT com