ADSM-L

Q: Specifying maximum file space

2015-10-04 18:16:47
Subject: Q: Specifying maximum file space
From: Jerry Lawson at TISDMAIL
From: INTERNET.OWNERAD at SNADGATE
To: HIGMX.OAS at SNADGATE
To: Jerry Lawson at TISDMAIL
Date: 2/2/96 7:39AM
Date: 2/1/96 2:33PM
If you still want to try - here are my suggestions:

1.  The easiest way to do this is to just define a Storage pool with 1GB of
DASD space, and with no migration.  An expensive solution - but it's his pool;
he can knock himself out.

2.  A cheaper solution would be to define a smaller pool, and then set up a
tape pool to migrate to, and limit the number of volumes that can be kept in
the pool.  For example, a 200MB DASD pool, which migrates to a tape pool of 5
tapes that have a 200MB capacity.  This is more than !GB, but will allow for v
ariations in the amount that can be stored on a single tape.  Of course you
could go straight to tape, too.

What are the problems with this?   For one, if you use compression (and I
would) you can't be sure how much will be gained with the compression.  You
might use this as a selling point - We'll give you 1GB, but you'll get more
with compression.  Also, the nature of tape will mean that you probably need
to over allocate the space.  - If you have a reclaim threshold of 50%, then
you should allow for twice the amount of storage, and then some more.   For
example, a pool of 2GB, at 50% utilization, will hold 1GB.  Then, to allow for
a tape to be reclaimed, and additional volume has to be available.  And then,
as I said before, there's the issue of compression and how much he will

Hope this gives you some ideas, or perhaps some grounds to argue with your
boss about the best method.

Jerry Lawson
ITT Hartford Insurance Group
jlawson AT itthartford DOT com