ADSM-L

Re: Q: Specifying maximum file space

1996-02-01 16:37:10
Subject: Re: Q: Specifying maximum file space
From: Bill Colwell <BColwell AT CCLINK.DRAPER DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 1996 21:37:10 GMT
In <bitnet.adsm-l%1996Feb01.125800.0.636 AT smmipo1.smmi DOT com>, sbluvks AT
smmipo1.smmi DOT com (Stokes, Van Jr.) writes:
>I have a customer who wants to pay our company to backup their NT server.
>Of coarse, our Management jump at the chance and said no problem - so
>typical, promising things before talking to technical people.....
>
>How can I setup a DOMAIN for this customer and specify the maximum about
>of file space the DOMAIN (or whatever) can take up. For example, if the
>customer contracts with us for 1GB, We want to limit the customer to
>backing up to our ADSM server only 1GB.
>
>Could someone point me in the right direction?
>
>*** Van ***
> -----
>Message for the day:
>Bumper Sticker:
>    Why don't sharks eat Lawyers?
>    Professional Courtesy.

I don't know of any option in ADSM which will limit the amount of storage
used by a node.  In any case, I don't think it would be a good idea to define
your service to a customer in terms of megabytes of storage.  Instead, offer
him a certain number of days to restore a file deleted by mistake, and a
certain number of prior versions so he can backout of mistaken file changes.
These options can be set in the ADSM copygroup construct.  So rather than
negotiating over items which you can't control offer him 'features' which you
can control!

After he has signed on the dotted line, you can make a new domain;  read the
manual!  But briefly, do this --

define domain CASHCOW etc.
define policyset CASHCOW STANDARD etc.
define mgmtclas etc.
define copygroup type=backup versions=nnn etc.
assign defmgmtclass
activate policy set
reg node <customer> domain=CASHCOW etc.

The copy group can direct his files to a separate disk or directly to tape
or to you normal diskpool.

Bill Colwell
C. S. Draper Lab
Email: BColwell AT draper DOT com