ADSM-L

Database Mirroring and RAMAC -Reply

1995-11-17 15:37:32
Subject: Database Mirroring and RAMAC -Reply
From: Dennis Taylor <TAYLORDC AT GUNET.GEORGETOWN DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 1995 15:37:32 -0500
(Reply to note below)

We converted off of 3380's to a RAMAC in July.  I made the decision to
stop mirroring the database and log at that time.  As some one
mentioned, mirroring is done to prevent outage due to media failure.
The RAMAC costs a premium price and is highly fault tolerant.  Data is
on 2 disks and/or in 2 caches at any given time.  Power
outages/fluctuations should not bother the RAMAC (in our case it is also
behind an UPS and diesel generator).  The RAMAC has batteries in each
drawer to ensure that cache data is destaged in the event of a power
outage.  The batteries in each drawer are automatically tested several
times a day by the RAMAC controller.

At most, I might do as someone suggested and mirror the logs.  I just
wanted to clarify that there is no foreseen event (such as power loss)
that can compromise media integrity on the RAMAC.

Lastly, a few words of praise about ADSM on this subject.  Under a tight
time line I did the migration of ADSM DASD storage groups, database(s),
and logs last July 4 (in the afternoon).  I forgot to take home any ADSM
manuals.  The environment is VM.  I logged on, allocated about 10 GB of
new RAMAC space, found the exec to format these extents (minidisks) and
started the formatting.  I logged off after about 1 hour.  Later I
logged back on--after the formats had completed.  I spent about 2 hours
copying STG, DB, and LOG data to the new extents.  The point is I did
this all without manuals--just using the online help.  The commands
needed to do all this were readily apparent and I was easily able to
(heavily) overlap and multitask these moves.  The process went about as
smoothly as one could possibly expect.  Nice job ADSM.  (Note there
are still a lot of things to be improved on ADSM and WHEN IS V2 server
going to be available for VM?)

>>> Abi Admassu <Abi.Admassu AT UCOP DOT EDU> 11/16/95 04:12pm >>>
We are running ADSM V1R1L12 on MVS.  Our mainframe group recently moved
the recovery log and the server databse to RAMAC.  Is there any need for
mirroring the database and recovery log if both are on RAMAC?  Other
than sudden power outages, what other scenarios corrupt the database?
Any input is greatly appreciated.

Abi
University of California