ADSM-L

Re[2]: AIX Disaster Recovery

1995-11-17 15:25:15
Subject: Re[2]: AIX Disaster Recovery
From: Christian Moser <Christian.Moser AT SCHERING DOT DE>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 1995 15:25:15 EST
     I am also very much interested in AIX (and other UNIX platform)
     disaster recovery, and probably many others on the list are also
     interested. So please mail your experiences to the list.

     Once the (only) hard disk of my AIX 3.2.5 workstation was damaged.
     I have made several tests with first rebuilding the disk from an old
     mksysb backup and restoring files with ADSM after that.
     Whenever I ADSM restored bulks of files to the /usr filesystem, parts
     of the operating system where inoperative after the next reboot.
     At last I have ADSM restored every (local) filesystem with the
     exception of / and /usr (and /tmp of course) and I have ADSM restored
     /etc/passwd and /etc/group because many of my daily changes where made
     into these files.
     I am interested in a more thorough approach since I do not want to
     mksysb backup the rootvg to often.

     Christian Moser,           Internet: christian.moser AT schering DOT de
     SCHERING AG, 13342 Berlin, Tel.: (030)4681356 Fax: (030)46916719