ADSM-L

FW: 'Update' in Adstar

1995-11-08 12:37:34
Subject: FW: 'Update' in Adstar
From: "Brett Walker (408)256-0265 Fax:" <walkerbl AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 1995 09:37:34 PST
Re: Note from you attached below

>I believe you only get the 'updating' message when you upgrade a client from
>Version 1 to Version 2.  I think there are some database changes for a
>Version 2 client as opposed to a Version 1 client which is probably the
>reason why once you upgrade a client to Version 2, there's no way to go back
>to Version 1 for that client.

>>Can anyone here tell me what 'Updating' means in the adstar logs?
>>
>>While running adstar in a Unix (Solaris) environment,
>>we occasionally get the following log entry:
>>
>>10/23/1995 19:10:46 Updating-->     768 /FILENAME  Sent
>>                     ^^^^^^
>>Thousands of other files, which seem to be the same type,
>>are logged one of these two ways:
>>
>>10/25/1995 21:20:07 Expiring-->    1,761 /FILENAME  Sent
>>10/25/1995 21:20:07 Normal File--> 4,159 /FILENAME  Sent

When a file is "Updated", only its attributes are backed up.  This
can occur in a couple situations:
1) You're upgrading from a Version 1 to a Version 2 server.  Since our
   internal format has changed, the attribute structures need to be
   updated.  Note that if the file data has actually changed, the entire
   file is backed up as well.

2) If we determine that a file's attributes have changed, and that the data
   has *not* changed, then we will simply update the attributes, and
   not re-backup the file data.  This saves on backup time.  If we
   think the data may have hcnaged, we will backup the entire file.

Cheers,
Brett Walker
ADSM Development