ADSM-L

CPU Resources Used by Server

1995-11-08 10:53:26
Subject: CPU Resources Used by Server
From: Bob Klein <KL2 AT CU.NIH DOT GOV>
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 1995 10:53:26 EST
There has been quite a bit of discussion on this list about the
large amount of resources, particularly cpu time, that the adsm
server uses.  We are currently running the server on an MVS 300-J
system.  Last month the adsm started task address space used over
17,000 cpu seconds.  Considering that our database is only about
200 mb at this point, with only 400,000 files in it and we are
storing only about 12 GBytes, this seems quite excessive.  I run
expire inventory once a week and I force a migration from our
disk storage pools only once a week.  What else could the server
be doing that would use up so much time?  Is the address space
using cpu time servicing client sessions over and above the cpu
time recorded on the smf records (42, subtype 14) for the client
sessions?  If this is how much cpu time is being used for such a
small setup, I wonder what will happen as we scale up to the size
several members of this list are running.  Any information will
be most appreciated.

Robert P. Klein                          KL2 AT CU.NIH DOT GOV
Robert P. Klein                          KL2 AT CU.NIH DOT GOV
Phone: 301-496-7400                      Fax: 301-496-6905
Mail:  DCRT/CFB/ETS, 12A/1033, 12 SOUTH DR MSC 5607,
       BETHESDA, MD 20892-5607