ADSM-L

Re: aix file ownership

1995-10-06 06:27:09
Subject: Re: aix file ownership
From: Rick te Lindert <lindert AT SARA DOT NL>
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 1995 11:27:09 +0100
> Jim White asks:
>
>> Is there a fix for the problem in which directories and files take on the
>> ownership and default group of the root userid upon restore when restoring
>> entire directories of files?  We use root to perform the backups and in
large
>> part, to do our restores.  The fact that ownership/groups are not restored
>> intact is very troubling....
>
> I'm 99% positive that IBM has fixed this. Have you tried putting on the
> latest maintenance  (available on the FTP server)? I remember doing a test
> backup and restore, and everything was put back properly.
>
> Andy Raibeck
> Connecticut Mutual Life

Is it version 1 you are discussing? At our site, we have just started
testing ADSM v2 on an AIX system (having no experience with previous
versions).
We are disappointed by the fact that out of the three ways ("by file
specification", "by directory tree", "subdirectory path") in which files
can be restored, only the third (and least flexible) one manages to
restore directories correctly (using owner, group, and mode as listed
in the backup database). Must we assume that the problem is known, but
not yet satisfactorily solved?
--
Rick te Lindert                                 *     PO Box 94613
Rick te Lindert                                 *     PO Box 94613