ADSM-L

Tape mounts: Please look ahead!

1995-10-05 16:41:33
Subject: Tape mounts: Please look ahead!
From: Clemens Milz <Milz AT LINDE-VA-MUC.CCMAIL.COMPUSERVE DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 1995 16:41:33 EDT
     Hello IBMer,

     I remember that someone posted the idea of looking ahead tape mounts
     at restore processing to that list. Is it possible to implement this
     concept? Is it already accepted as an requirement?

     I did a restore of 1.6 GB (65,000 files) of a filespace which is in
     production for about one year. It took 60 tape mounts
     (collocation=yes) to accomplish the job. Assuming an average automatic
     mount needs one minute it is easy to estimate one bottleneck of the
     whole story.

     As filespaces are increasing - we have to handle up to 10 GB as one
     space now - as tapes becoming more and more fragmented the mounts are
     more and more an impact of performance.

     An additional approach could be the collocation of the set of active
     files in certain intervals.

     ADSM developers, what do you think about it? What are you planning to
     do?

     Thank you and have a fine day.
     Clemens Milz, Munich/Germany