ADSM-L

ADSM clients and install programs for windows / VM server

1995-09-22 14:16:31
Subject: ADSM clients and install programs for windows / VM server
From: "Wayne T. Smith" <wts AT MAIL.CAPS.MAINE DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 1995 13:16:31 EST
There's no doubt that the ADSM client software continues to improve
along with its install program, but I would like to comment with some
trivia on a recent V2 windows client install ...

  The program number on the install dialogue box is 0000-000.  Quality
    software does not have such blunders.

  My (Norton Desktop for Windows 3.0) program group for ADSM ended
    up with 2 ADSM Scheduler icons and 2 ADSM Administration icons, one
    of which was labelled "ADSM Administration Command Line".

  The README tries to describe the unfortunate problem with a
    restore to destination gotcha.  It refers to "Restoring by
    Subdirectory Path", yet the software menu entry appears to use the
    term "Branch" instead of "Path".

  Having (almost) automatic schedule log pruning (one has to manually
    add a statement to the DSM.OPT preferences file) is great. Too bad
    it locks up my Windows for Workgroups 3.11 system while it does its
    work.

  If the scheduler is open on the desktop and you move the mouse
    pointer over the dialogue box, it changes back and forth between
    the normal pointer and the hourglass.  Things seem immediately
    interruptible even when the hourglass is on-screen, but why should
    this be happening on an apparently idle scheduler?  I guess I don't
    care so much for the explanation as I would like the action
    corrected.

We want and need the ADSM Version 2 VM server.  We want a stable,
tested server, but we want it now.  We expect VM server enhancements to
be available before or at the same time as the servers for other
platforms.  Cut through the crap.  Just do it!

In case no one has asked today: When will the VM server be available?
Bonus question: what is the hold-up?
Frustrated dig:  (censored)

Thanks for listening,

Wayne T. Smith
Systems Group -- CAPS        internet: wts AT maine.maine DOT edu
University of Maine System   BITNET/CREN: WTS@MAINE