ADSM-L

Re: ADSM clients and install programs for windows / VM server

1995-09-23 02:18:20
Subject: Re: ADSM clients and install programs for windows / VM server
From: Andy Raibeck <raibeck AT TIAC DOT NET>
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 1995 02:18:20 -0400
Wayne Smith said:

>There's no doubt that the ADSM client software continues to improve
>along with its install program, but I would like to comment with some
>trivia on a recent V2 windows client install ...
>
>-   The program number on the install dialogue box is 0000-000.  Quality
>    software does not have such blunders.

A small point, but I guess it depends on how you define "Quality software".
I agree that IBM needs to pay more attention to small details such as this.
I've seen the V1 OS/2 client install screens say something to the effect of
"V1.2.00" when the last two digits should have been the maintenance level,
i.e. "V1.2.8". On the other hand, I can't think of too many programs that
most folks call "Quality" that don't have a gaff or two!  (8*>

Have you opened a problem with IBM on this? I know that during QIP testing,
I mentioned this problem with OS/2, and they seem to have fixed it.

>-   My (Norton Desktop for Windows 3.0) program group for ADSM ended
>    up with 2 ADSM Scheduler icons and 2 ADSM Administration icons, one
>    of which was labelled "ADSM Administration Command Line".

Have you opened a problem with IBM on this?

Actually, all in all, I don't care for the way that the Windows client is
updated. I wish that instead of renaming files to *.BAK, they'd put the old
files in a separate directory instead.

BTW, be careful if you install the V2R1 Windows client on a new client from
scratch (no pre-existing ADSM client). The BWCC.DLL file is not installed.
If you have any other programs that installed BWCC.DLL (it's Borland's run-time
DLL used with programs developed with their C/C++ compiler), you won't even
notice this. I opened a problem and IBM's taken an APAR out on it. I'm at home
and don't have it handy; if you can't find it, let me know and I'll post it
here.

>-   The README tries to describe the unfortunate problem with a
>    restore to destination gotcha.  It refers to "Restoring by
>    Subdirectory Path", yet the software menu entry appears to use the
>    term "Branch" instead of "Path".

Ah, there's that lack of "attention to detail" I mentioned above.

>-   Having (almost) automatic schedule log pruning (one has to manually
>    add a statement to the DSM.OPT preferences file) is great. Too bad
>    it locks up my Windows for Workgroups 3.11 system while it does its
>    work.

Have you opened a problem with IBM on this?

>-   If the scheduler is open on the desktop and you move the mouse
>    pointer over the dialogue box, it changes back and forth between
>    the normal pointer and the hourglass.  Things seem immediately
>    interruptible even when the hourglass is on-screen, but why should
>    this be happening on an apparently idle scheduler?  I guess I don't
>    care so much for the explanation as I would like the action
>    corrected.

Ah, but is it *really* idle? I am not privy to the internals of the
product, but I'd guess that the scheduler is probably checking the time
of day for when it contacts the ADSM server for its next scheduled
event. So maybe it's not really broken?

In any event, have you opened a problem with IBM?

>We want and need the ADSM Version 2 VM server.  We want a stable,
>tested server, but we want it now.  We expect VM server enhancements to
>be available before or at the same time as the servers for other
>platforms.  Cut through the crap.  Just do it!

I'll bet that those folks with OS/2, non-AIX UNIX boxes, and VM servers
feel as you do. My best advice is to get your IBM marketing rep to open
up a dialog with ADSM development to address this concern.

>In case no one has asked today: When will the VM server be available?
>Bonus question: what is the hold-up?
>Frustrated dig:  (censored)
>
>Thanks for listening,
>
>Wayne T. Smith
>Systems Group -- CAPS        internet: wts AT maine.maine DOT edu
>University of Maine System   BITNET/CREN: WTS@MAINE

Andy Raibeck
Connecticut Mutual
203-987-3521