ADSM-L

Re: Include/Exclude Lists

1995-05-19 09:00:55
Subject: Re: Include/Exclude Lists
From: Jerry Lawson <jlawson AT ITTHARTFORD DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 19 May 1995 08:00:55 EST
Jane -

First, I appologize for not including your original note here - it was rather
long, and my Internet firewall administrators have screwed up the mail
facility so OS/2 users cannot reply to notes!

Perhaps I can help with the opt files.  I use OS/2 at my own desk, and have an
OS/2 server for ADSM demos, so have some experience.

First, the Server has a file named DSMSERV.OPt, which contains his options.
This is in th esubdirectory that contains server code - I kept them separate
from the client.  This looks very different from the client options file
inside - just a list of options, some of them commented out with a *.  I
really haven't had to do much with this file.

When installed, the OS/2 client has a sample client file named DSM.SMP.  You
must copy it to DSM.OPT, and customize this new file.  The file name you used
(DSM.OPTIONS?) will work (I believe) if your disk format is HPFS and you have
changed the SET statements in your config.sys for to point to the new name as
the default  (SET DSM_CONFIG=C:\ADSM\DSM.OPTIONS).  I say I believe, because I
have not tried this.

As I understand it, the admin client, and the backup client both use this
file, as it contains your communications definitions, and also your node name.
There is nothing that I am aware of in the file that is specific for the
administrator, but that doesn't mean I'm right.

As for the exclude list, there is a problem with the supplied list - OS2LDR
and OS2KRNL should NOT be excluded.  These are holdovers from R1.x (they
should be excluded there), but for 2.x clients, these modules can be backed up
and restored.  They are not replaced when you do a SYSINSTX - short of a
reinstall, this would be the only way to get them back.  One warning on
OS2KRNL, though - it must be loaded contiguously - no extents.  If it is in
extents, a boot of OS/2 will not complete.  This is usually not a problem,
unless the disk is very fragmented.

As for the list you provided:
    exclude    c:\cmlib.*.*.*
    exclude    c:\desktop.*.*
    exclude    c:\muglib.*.*
    include     c:\ditest1\*.*

I see a couple of problems.  First, you are missing a "\" at the end of the
directory name on the first three - should read more like the last entry.
Secondly, If in the first example, you are trying to exclude a subdirectory
with the *.*.* syntax, it will not work.   An "any subdirectory" wildcard is
"...\"  For example, if I wanted to exclude all subdirectories under the CMLIB
directory, it would have to be coded
    Exclude    c:\cmlib\...\*.*

I hope this note helps rather than confuses - let me know if you have any
other questions.

Jerry Lawson