ADSM-L

ADSM/6000 Level 7 upgrade warning.

1995-04-21 06:44:47
Subject: ADSM/6000 Level 7 upgrade warning.
From: Roy Jaques <rjaques AT BCOPS1.ESTEC.ESA DOT NL>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 1995 12:44:47 +0200
During this upgrade all details of our optical library configuration
dissapeared from AIX without warning. It has not affected any of the
ADSM configuration database.

It appears that the method of defining the SCSI tape drives, tape
libraries, optical drives and optical libraries within AIX using
smit has changed. The changes are detailed in the lpp.README files placed
in /usr/lpp/adsmserv/inst_IP20254.

It was necessary for me to redefine the optical libraries we have from
smit using the new procedures. The libraries are then usable again without
problem.

If this procedure is necessary for sites upgrading to level 7 it should
be contained as a warning in the README file supplied from the FTP server.
Finding the information to reinstall the devices using smit after the
original config has gone is not sufficient. The lpp.README files are only
available after the smit installation by which time it was too late for us.

Restarting the ADSM server and finding that it is not able to access
devices due to their removal from AIX is not an acceptable situation. I
trust this will not occur with subsequent releases and I suggest that
a warning is added to the README on the ftp server.

Roy Jaques