ADSM-L

Re: URGENT-RECOVERY

1995-02-10 14:36:09
Subject: Re: URGENT-RECOVERY
From: Bill Colwell <BColwell AT CCLINK.DRAPER DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 1995 19:36:09 GMT
In <1995Feb10.175408.29211 AT draper DOT com>, CCYT AT vm1.si.usherb DOT ca
(yves) writes:
>URGENT....URGENT......URGENT
>
>I have ASDM server on VM system ( release .9/1.9 ). A root user in Aix who had
>ability to destroy archive and backup filespace, This user had destroyed
>a filespace . But this filespace was use by users to archive many big
>files. The root user didn't know that archives files destroyed too.
>Is there a recipe to repair this CATASTROPHIC ERROR.

First, find the user and thrash him/her soundly!

>I do DUMP DB my server Tuesday morning,and the destroy occured this morning
>( friday ). There's no activity on Archive tape since Dump db. When this event
>occured the server do Space Reclamation on archive tape...
>
>                   Thank for your answer quickly ....... Yves

I have an MVS server, but I think this should work on VM also.  I have
never done this, but if I had the same problem, this is what I would
try first.

1). Create a new ADSM server with DB files big enough to hold a
reload from your dumpdb.  Don't bother with the communication
parameters since it won't go online.  If you need multiple files to
make up the full DB, the install will format just the first file.  You
must 'define db' and 'extend' the rest of the files.

2). Do the reload into the new server.  Skip the audit.

3). The orginal tape should be known to this new server, and the
data should still be on the physical tape as you indicate.

4). export the filespace and import it into the real server. A problem
would occur if some of the files in the filespace are on your real
servers disk bitfiles.  Expect to get only the files which are on
tape.

5). delete the new server.

Good Luck, and keep us posted!

Bill Colwell