ADSM-L

Re: Migrating the Server

1994-11-17 11:45:20
Subject: Re: Migrating the Server
From: "Joseph A. Faracchio" <SPGJAF AT CMSA.BERKELEY DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 1994 08:45:20 PST
Here are my crude (but effective) notes on increasing a DB by 'swapping'
MiniDisks.  This should get 'em moved as well.  You did say VM server? :-)
( I invite comments or better or simpler    ways for doing this!)

Increasing the DB by:
           putting a new mdisk in place and having old 'scratched"
Adding more db quickly is simply "allocating" new mdisk and adding it on.
but ....
 to entirely replace a db mdisk you must:
         1) allocate and format (cms'format and adsm's mdsknew ) a mdisk
         2) cp link it on DSSERV (use secuser)
         3) then do adsm commands:

            0) You MUST vary offline twin for safe keeping BEFORE doing .
                and you should cp detach too!
            a) define dbvol 123
               q db to see how much extension
            b) extend db ...
            c) q db to see how much is now reducible
            d) reduce db ...   reduce it
            e) delete db vol .... if the numbers are right adsm will allow
              all this and move the data from old to new mdisk.
Dump the DataBase ...
Dump the DataBase ...
hope this helps!
... joe.f.
P.S>   this is a good time to inject how lousy the reference manual is
organized.   Probably the biggest problem for me is that *not enough*
are indexed so I can go back to something.  (like COLLOCATION is not indexed)