ADSM-L

Re: Problems reading root file system

1994-11-16 11:13:10
Subject: Re: Problems reading root file system
From: Christophe Leroy <leroych AT SUNSOFT.CERN DOT CH>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 1994 17:13:10 +0100
Hi !

:From: Paul Goodwin <CC100PG%GITVM1.BITNET AT cernvm.cern DOT ch>
:Subject:      Problems reading root file system
:To: Multiple recipients of list ADSM-L <ADSM-L%MARIST.BITNET AT cernvm.cern
DOT ch>
:
:OK...I know I've asked a lot of questions lately, but the boss wants
:things set up really quick-like.  I'll try not to bother y'all too much
:from now on!  And thanks, I really appreciate all the help you've given me.
:
:Now I *do* have one question for today...  :)   When backing up an AIX system,
:I get an error reading the "/" filesystem.  I'm running as root, and I can
:actually do an "ls" and look at what's there, but DSM gets an error and won't
:perform a backup if I include "/".  Has anyone seen this behaviour?  Have
:I done something stupid?
:
:Paul
:

I have sometimes met your problem. The problem was due to a 'stale file handle'.
check the command
ls /
or even ls /*

maybe a file is 'stale'.
(you could try 'df' either)

My problem was coming from a directory /mnt which was a NFS-mounted
directory on a machine that had booted: the 'NFS link' was not available
anymore. I made 'umount /mnt' ,  this directory disappeared, dsm worked
fine.

Hope this helps.

Tof'

--
Christophe Leroy: Unix Workstations Support
Christophe Leroy: Unix Workstations Support

leroych AT sunsoft.cern DOT ch  //   31-1-025   //  9338