nv-l

[NV-L] NV Web Console request to open a submap times out

2010-12-15 12:55:24
Subject: [NV-L] NV Web Console request to open a submap times out
From: "Evans, Bill" <Bill.Evans AT hq.doe DOT gov>
To: "'nv-l AT lists.ca.ibm DOT com'" <nv-l AT lists.ca.ibm DOT com>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 12:51:14 -0500
Environment
        NetView 7.1.5 on Suse Linux.
        Web Consoles on Windows 5.1 and Suse Linux 10 shared with native console.

Message in popup
        The Submap Explorer lost connection to the NeView Console
        Exiting the Submap Explorer.

While drilling down into the map hierarchy, I get the popup message whenever the number of objects on the new submap becomes significant.  This happens whether I use the Windows or the Linux version of the Web Console.  It also happens whether I’m using the Web Console on the same machine as the native Console on a Linux workstation or accessing the NetView server from Windows.   Maps with 20 elements usually render OK (but the speed of rendering is slow) while maps with 120 elements seem to always fail.  The latest I timed out at three and a half minutes.

When one Web Console loses connection both seem to lose connections.   Initial rendering of a 36 element map after a failure takes about eighty seconds.

This is a recent development – say the last three months.  I’m not sure if it’s a problem with NetView surfacing or if it’s a sensitivity in NetView which is exacerbated by network problems.  I have noticed over the same time frame that the functioning of SNMP on our network has become quite slow recently; command line demand polls show SNMP queries taking five seconds or so to complete for each instance.

Is there a configuration setting related to this timeout?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Bill Evans
Senior Tivoli NetView Support Analyst
Energy Enterprise Solutions, LLC