nv-l

[NV-L] Re: Moving from OpenView to Netview

2010-05-13 18:05:49
Subject: [NV-L] Re: Moving from OpenView to Netview
From: "Davis, Donald" <donald.davis AT firstcitizens DOT com>
To: "Tivoli NetView Discussions" <nv-l AT lists.ca.ibm DOT com>
Date: Thu, 13 May 2010 18:05:27 -0400

Pablo,

You have not specified which container to put the 172.29.126.0 objects into because you want to split them between two containers.

You cannot do that.  You cannot split a single subnet (172.29.126.0) into multiple containers.

Here’s an improved location.conf file that I experimented with. Note my changes. I gave Almeria a “0” network because of this problem.

NetView cannot place the routers into the desired containers because they are in the same 172.29.126.0 IP-subnet which cannot be split between Almeria and Alava.

NetView does not know where to place the 172.29.0.0 network. Almeria or Alava, therefore, it simply puts it on the top-level map.

How are you spanning cities with the same subnet?

This cannot even be done manually with cut/paste without causing the objects to go to the user plane (bad).

### NETWORK CONTAINERS

Spain 172 State

Lugo 172.17 City Spain

Lugo 172.22 City Spain

Lugo 172.29.62 City Spain

Almeria 0 City Spain

Alava 172.18 City Spain

Alava 172.21 City Spain

### ROUTERS AND THEIR CONTAINERS

Almeria 172.29.126.121

Almeria 172.29.126.120

Alava 172.29.126.122

Alava 172.29.126.124

Alava 172.29.126.125

Also, regardless of what you have been told or read, you do NOT have to restart automatic map generation or create a new map to pickup changes in this file.

Simply do the following to pick up additions:

1.       ovstop netmon

2.       ovtopofix –A

3.       ovstart netmon

4.       Close and reopen the read/write map

To delete locations, edit them out of the location.conf file and edit/delete the locations from the map.

I have a sandbox NetView that I can use if you need more help.  Just ask.

Best regards,

===

Don Davis

Call 1.888.FC DIRECT (1.888.323.4732) or visit us on the web at firstcitizens.com today to take advantage of our great products and services.

This electronic mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and are intended solely for the use of individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you are not the intended recipient or the person responsible for delivering the electronic mail to the intended recipient, be advised that if you have received this electronic mail in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this electronic mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this electronic mail in error, please immediately notify the sender by return mail.

First Citizens Bank - Helping our customers achieve a lifetime of success. Visit us on the web at firstcitizens.com - Member FDIC