nv-l

[NV-L] Moving from OpenView to Netview

2010-04-28 17:24:41
Subject: [NV-L] Moving from OpenView to Netview
From: James Shanks <jshanks AT us.ibm DOT com>
To: nv-l AT lists.ca.ibm DOT com
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 17:24:22 -0400

It's an old and common misconception that since OpenView and NetView shared a common code base at one time that they are interchangeable.  But they haven't shared any code since NetView  Version 2 debuted in 1992, 18 years ago.  Since that time they have radically diverged as each company's development teams responded to needs of their customers and visions of where their management thought the products should go.  The developers in each company had to be kept ignorant of how the other product worked, lest they be cited for copyright infringement.

As a result there are no files on OpenView that are interchangeable with NetView, so give that idea up.  And location.conf was not even part of NetView until Version 7.1 so there's no such counterpart in OpenView.

All you need for NetView to build a map is to do a discovery and netmon attempts that automatically.  You only need to use xnmsnmpconf (UNIX) or snmpconf  (Windows) to enter a few community strings and perhaps put some hostnames or IP's addresses in the netmon seed file to give netmon a place to start.  You can configure that with nvsetup.
Configure--> Set options for topology, discovery, and database daemons --> Set options for netmon daemon

Of course, if you can get a list of all the devices that OpenView knows about, then you can put that list in the seed file and your NetView will find everyone of them and draw a map based on their connectivity.

If you already know what this network you are discovering "should" look like, then you can build location.conf ahead of time.  If not, once you start poking around in the NetView map after discovery, you can decide how to organize it.  Then you can use nvsetup again to clear the databases and rebuild the map.  You can do this as often as you like until you are satisfied with the results.

I think that given your lack of expertise, that it would be wise for you to open a problem to local IBM support on NetView.  They will get you routed to someone in Level 2 who has been working with the product for years and can give you personalized help.  It's still in Support until the end of April 2012, though ti has been withdrawn from marketing and is no longer being enhanced.

James
James Shanks
Tivoli Network Availability Management
Network Management - Development