nv-l

RE: [NV-L] Mib2trap help

2009-04-16 11:43:17
Subject: RE: [NV-L] Mib2trap help
From: James Shanks <jshanks AT us.ibm DOT com>
To: Tivoli NetView Discussions <nv-l AT lists.ca.ibm DOT com>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2009 11:43:19 -0400

There is no way you can look at a trap and tell what MIB defines it. You can only search a database of MIBs and hope you get lucky.

I suggest you open a PMR to Support and get some personal help. They help people with these sorts of problems all the time, so you would probably save time by enlisting their aid.

But to try to answer your question as best as I can,

I don't know what's in the CISCO-PORT-STORM-CONTROL-MIB but the incoming trap is very interesting.

It's not using a proprietary vendor enterprise id, like 1.3.6.1.4.1.9, which is where Cisco starts. Rather it is using 1.3.6.1.6.3.1.1.5, which is the generic enterprise for SNMPv2 snmpTraps.

Now since the enterprise name "snmpTraps" is shown in the default format, that means that you already have an entry for it trapd.conf. What you don't have is a format entry for this enterprise for a generic type 3, specific type 0 trap. And that's not surprise to me, because a type 3/0 is Link Up and that was not defined for SNMPv2 initially. So you have no way to know whether this was added by a later RFC or whether some vendor created it. The trouble is, with a generic enterprise id like 1.3.6.1.6.3.1.1.5, that vendor could be anybody.

Since the variables that the trap sends are not vendor specific either, but are just from MIB-2, you cannot really guess who defined this from them either. All you really know for certain is that the MIB which defines this trap, has a structure in it like this:

<label> NOTIFICATION-TYPE
OBJECTS {
ifIndex,
ifDescr,
ifType,
locIfReason
}
STATUS current

But once again, that <label> could be anything. So IMHO, your best bet is just to add this trap manually using xnmsnmpconf and forget about trying to locate the MIB.

Hope this helps,

James Shanks
Tivoli Network Availability Management Level Three
Network Availability Management
Tivoli Software, IBM Corp
1-919-224-1642 | T/L 687-1642 | ITN 26871642
Inactive hide details for "Sperry, Kevin" <Kevin.Sperry AT us.ngrid DOT com>"Sperry, Kevin" <Kevin.Sperry AT us.ngrid DOT com>

          "Sperry, Kevin" <Kevin.Sperry AT us.ngrid DOT com>
          Sent by: nv-l-bounces AT lists.ca.ibm DOT com

          04/16/2009 10:48 AM
          Please respond to
          Tivoli NetView Discussions <nv-l AT lists.ca.ibm DOT com>

"Tivoli NetView Discussions" <nv-l AT lists.ca.ibm DOT com>

cc

Subject

RE: [NV-L] Mib2trap help

Good morning,

I think I need to back up a bit. Before I dig down deeper, I want to verify that I am using the correct MIB. Perhaps I am using the wrong MIB. I was told to use the CISCO-PORT-STORM-CONTROL-MIB to format the following trap.

Thu Apr 16 09:17:44 2009 swe-nyhcb3vipa. ? NO FMT IN TRAPD.CONF: snmpTraps (1.3.6.1.6.3.1.1.5) generic:3 specific:0 args(4): [1] mib-2.interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifIndex.10016 (Integer): 10016
[2] mib-2.interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifDescr.10016 (OctetString): FastEthernet0/16
[3] mgmt.mib-2.interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifType.10016 (Integer): 6
[4] linterfaces.lifTable.lifEntry.locIfReason.10016 (OctetString): up

SPECIFIC : 0 (hex: 0)
GENERIC : 3

CATEGORY : Error Events
ENTERPRISE : 1.3.6.1.6.3.1.1.5
SOURCE : Source not known (?)
HOSTNAME : swe-nyhcb3vipa.na.ngrid.net
SEVERITY : Indeterminate
LOGGEDTIME : 04/16/09 09:17:44

When I search for MIBs using 1.3.6.1.6.3.1.1.5 I do not receive results that point me to the CISCO-PORT-STORM-CONTROL-MIB.

How do I know what MIB to use to resolve undefined traps?

Thank you,

Kevin Sperry
IT Analyst, Data Center Monitoring Control

national
grid
7437 Henry Clay Blvd. Bldg#3

Liverpool, NY 13088

Phone: (315) 460-2688 Internal: 829-2688

Kevin.Sperry AT us.ngrid DOT com

)

GIF image

GIF image