nv-l

Re: [NV-L] Trapd takes too much memory

2007-10-18 07:47:50
Subject: Re: [NV-L] Trapd takes too much memory
From: Francois Le Hir <flehir AT ca.ibm DOT com>
To: Tivoli NetView Discussions <nv-l AT d25lcore003.mkm.can.ibm DOT com>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 07:47:27 -0400

Stephanie,

I don't know about Solaris, but on AIX 5.3:

man signal
SIGSEGV
Segmentation violation. (11*)

So this seams to be a segmentation fault. Nothing to do with lack of virtual memory.

Salutations, / Regards,

Francois Le Hir
Network Projects & Consulting Services
IBM Global Technology Services

"Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.
Inactive hide details for ss cc <steph_cornish AT yahoo DOT com>ss cc <steph_cornish AT yahoo DOT com>

          ss cc <steph_cornish AT yahoo DOT com>
          Sent by: nv-l-bounces AT lists.ca.ibm DOT com

          10/17/2007 12:33 PM
          Please respond to
          Tivoli NetView Discussions <nv-l AT lists.ca.ibm DOT com>

Tivoli NetView Discussions <nv-l AT lists.ca.ibm DOT com>

cc

Subject

Re: [NV-L] Trapd takes too much memory

James,
Have you seen processes die on a signal 11 (SIGSEGV)? We've seen this quite a few times with nvcorrd. How can I tell if it's dying because virtual memory is exhausted?

Stephanie

James Shanks <jshanks AT us.ibm DOT com>
wrote:
Well, you are downlevel on maintenance, so you could apply 7.1.4 FP05 and see whether that helps, because you will have to be at that level to pursue this problem with NetView Level 2, which is your next step.

While I have heard of many daemons being terminated because the virtual memory is exhausted, and they all terminate on a signal 33 (SIGDANGER), I've never heard of just nvserverd (or any other daemon) dying because trapd or any other one is using too much memory. I don't know how you arrived at that conclusion, but it is moot I suppose. If trapd has a memory leak, you will need to open a problem with NetView Support and provide them with your evidence. Trapd will have to be run with the hex dump all packets option (-x) and you'll have to get a trapd.trace so that they can see what kind of traffic it is handling. Support will have to recreate the leak in the lab using a memory management tool to find where it is, and they will need to see your trap traffic to do it.

If nvserverd is dying, then there should be FFDC data available for that and you will need to provide that to Level 2 as well.

But trapd and nmdemandpoll are totally unrelated. nmdemandpoll is a netmon operation and results in a trap being sent to trapd, but it does not depend on trapd to complete. So perhaps there is more going on in your system than you know. You will probably have to get a netmon trace to find out why it is not responding to your demand poll request.

I don't see any way that you can resolve these issues on your own and you should open a problem to NetView Support.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and Windows
Network Availability Management
Network Management - Development
Tivoli Software, IBM Corp
"Liu, David" <david.liu AT eds DOT com>

                  "Liu, David" <david.liu AT eds DOT com>
                  Sent by: nv-l-bounces AT lists.ca.ibm DOT com
                  10/17/2007 06:18 AM
Please respond to
Tivoli NetView Discussions <nv-l AT lists.ca.ibm DOT com>

"Tivoli NetView Discussions" <nv-l AT lists.ca.ibm DOT com>
cc
Subject

[NV-L] Trapd takes too much memory

Dear list,

Searched from the history but no success. I have a problem with trapd takes too much memory. Every day or two, nvserverd is ending because of this. When I issue command "prstat" I can see that trapd is "accumulating" taken memory. And the demandpoll is taking too long time or die. (I don't know if it is the consequence). Need your advice.

NV 7.1.4, FP3, Solaris.

Thanks & regards,
David Liu

GIF image