nv-l

Re: [NV-L] Linux Suse SNMP agent issue

2007-10-16 14:37:40
Subject: Re: [NV-L] Linux Suse SNMP agent issue
From: Jane Curry <jane.curry AT skills-1st.co DOT uk>
To: Tivoli NetView Discussions <nv-l AT lists.ca.ibm DOT com>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 17:08:23 +0100
I have been using various SuSE agents for ages.  Not seen your discovery
/ delete issue.  I have also used the net-snmp agent on other platforms
- rock solid.

The only thing you DO need to watch for is that often the default
snmpd.conf only gives you access to the MIB-2 system variables, not to
the rest of MIB-2.  You need to change the VIEW statement - but this is
nothing to do with your issue.

Cheers,
Jane

James Shanks wrote:

> Sounds like apples and oranges to me Larry, but with 7.1.3 (Fixpack
> ??) I wouldn't know. Even FP04 shipped September 30, 2005.
>
> And what do you mean by "manually add the node"? to the seed file?
> using loadhosts? which?
>
> As for the difference between the net_snmp agent and the ucd_agent,
> the ucd_agent is precursor to net_snmp.
> See http://www.net-snmp.org/about/history.html
>
> What do you have in your /usr/OV/conf/oid_to_type file for the UCD
> agent you are using? It should be one of these:
>
> 1.3.6.1.4.1.2021.250.10:Linux:Linux UCD-SNMP Agent:
> 1.3.6.1.4.1.8072.3.2.10:Linux:Linux UCD-SNMP Agent:
>
> 2021 is the IANA Enterprise number for UC Davis (so it's base for the
> UCD Agent's initial OID) and 8072 is for the new version, which is
> net-snmp.
>
> But none of this has anything to do with duplicate IPs so far as I
> know. I couldn't find any record of netmon getting confused about
> duplicate IP addresses when discovering a UCD or net-snmp agent, but
> you can search the archives for yourself.
>
> Good luck.
>
> James Shanks
> Level 3 Support for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and Windows
> Network Availability Management
> Network Management - Development
> Tivoli Software, IBM Corp
> Inactive hide details for Larry Fagan <larrytechie AT yahoo DOT com>Larry
> Fagan <larrytechie AT yahoo DOT com>
>

>                         *Larry Fagan <larrytechie AT yahoo DOT com>*
>                         Sent by: nv-l-bounces AT lists.ca.ibm DOT com
>
>                         10/15/2007 09:59 AM
>                         Please respond to
>                         larrytechie AT yahoo DOT com; Please respond to
>                         Tivoli NetView Discussions <nv-l AT lists.ca.ibm DOT
> com>

> nv-l AT lists.ca.ibm DOT com
>
> cc
>

> Subject
>
> [NV-L] Linux Suse SNMP agent issue
>

> Hi all,
> I'm having an issue to discover the Linux Suse SNMP agent into our
> Netview (7.1.3). When i manually add the node, it discovers and netmon
> deletes it right away indicating duplicate IP addresses found and in
> fact there are no duplicate IP's exist in database.
> Has anyone experienced this issue before?
> What's the difference bewteen net-snmp and ucd-snmp? Could that be a
> problem?
> Thanks as usual,
> Larry

> to internal IBM'ers only)
> internal IBM'ers only)

Skills 1st Limited, 2 Cedar Chase, Taplow, Bucks, SL6 0EU, UK.
Registered in England & Wales, Company No. 3458854.
Tel: +44 (0)1628 782565
Copyright (c) 2007 Jane Curry <jane.curry AT skills-1st.co DOT uk>.  All rights
reserved.