nv-l

RE: [NV-L] Netview 7.1 on AIX: no maps (was Problem with Demons trapgentd and mgragentd [Summary])

2007-07-13 09:07:01
Subject: RE: [NV-L] Netview 7.1 on AIX: no maps (was Problem with Demons trapgentd and mgragentd [Summary])
From: James Shanks <jshanks AT us.ibm DOT com>
To: Tivoli NetView Discussions <nv-l AT lists.ca.ibm DOT com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 09:03:58 -0400

mgragentd and trapgend have nothing to do with creating maps. So let's leave them out of the picture. We can talk about them in another thread if you wish.

Your problem is that you have no maps, you say. Well, I am sorry if this seems rude but you have muddied the waters by assuming that this has something to with how mgragentd and trapgend are running. And it doesn't. My advice is that next time you try starting the thread with your actual problem symptoms instead of what you think is wrong and you'll probably get better help.

A NetView map is a graphical representation of the objects in your object database. The objects are discovered and put there by the netmon daemon using ping and SNMP. The map in turn is created by the process called ipmap when you start it by using the command, "netview". That's an oversimplification but it will do for now.

So what happens when you type in "netview"? Surely you get a GUI to come up, do you not? If so, what's on it? The command should bring up a copyright window (which goes away), a navigation window, a vertical tool bar window, a main window, and usually later, and events window. Does it do this or not? If not, what messages do you get when you try it?

Assuming the main window comes up, it should have an icons for IP Internet, Smartsets, and usually ManagerSubmap. Are these present or not?
When you drill down into the IP Internet symbol by double clicking it, you should be able to find at least the network, then the segment, and the node for your own machine? Is it there? Are there any other nodes? If not, then most likely you have a discovery (netmon) problem. Close the map and let's investigate that.

So is netmon running? (ovstatus netmon)
Are there any objects in your object database? (ovobjprint -S)
Is there an object for your NetView machine? (ovobjprint -s <fully-qualified domain name of NetView machine>)
If you get an answer for this, do the object fields indicate that
(1) Maps Exist ? should be "True"
(2) Maps Managed? should be "1"
(3) isSNMPSupported should be "True"

If you don't have an object for your machine, type in xnmsnmpconf and verify that the global default community name is that same on you are using in snmpd.conf.

And since this is AIX 5.3, which by default starts snmpd as an SNMPv3 agent let's verify that you have switched to the SNMPv1 agent by performing
snmpv3_ssw -1

This will guarantee that netmon can talk to the snmpd agent running on your machine, which it must if automated discovery is to proceed. If the command snmp_ssw -1 command actually changes things, then I would ovstop the daemons and ovstart them again and see what happens. Wait a few minutes. Then go look in /usr/OV/log/netmon.trace and see whether netmon is complaining about anything. If not, try "ovobjprint -S" and see whether more objects have been found and added. If so, type in "netview" again and see what you have now.

If the problems is that you have only nodes in the local subnet, then start a new thread for and we'll talk about creating a seed file.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and Windows
Network Availability Management
Network Management - Development
Tivoli Software, IBM Corp
Inactive hide details for Jan Koch <JANKOCH AT de.ibm DOT com>Jan Koch <JANKOCH AT de.ibm DOT com>

          Jan Koch <JANKOCH AT de.ibm DOT com>
          Sent by: nv-l-bounces AT lists.ca.ibm DOT com

          07/13/2007 03:57 AM
          Please respond to
          Tivoli NetView Discussions <nv-l AT lists.ca.ibm DOT com>

Tivoli NetView Discussions <nv-l AT lists.ca.ibm DOT com>

cc

Subject

RE: [NV-L] Netview 7.1 on AIX: Problem with Demons trapgentd and mgragentd [Summary]

Hello to all and good morning,

thanks to James and Bill for the help.

We have installed Netview 7.1.5 on AIX 5.3 LPAR. The demons trapgentd and
mgragentd are in the status "running" with the behaviour
"NOT_WELL_BEHAVED". The behaviour "NOT_WELL_BEHAVED" is not an inidicator
for an error. The status "running" is important.

The Netview installation runs with all applications. But it can not create
network maps. I thougt, Netview need smnpd for create network maps. I know,
that the demons trapgend and mgragentd a speciality from Netview for AIX
is. So far i know the trapgend demon translate snmpd information for
Netview. I doesn't know, what the mgragentd demon makes exact in the
cooperation with netview and AIX.

When the demons trapgend and mgragentd in the status "running" ok is, why I
can't create network maps?

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Kind regards

Jan Koch

GIF image