nv-l

Re: [NV-L] Switch to NETCOOL PRECISION IP

2007-02-22 10:29:27
Subject: Re: [NV-L] Switch to NETCOOL PRECISION IP
From: "Nicholas Ho" <nickho1972 AT gmail DOT com>
To: "Tivoli NetView Discussions" <nv-l AT lists.ca.ibm DOT com>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 08:27:34 -0700
Jeff

Just some background to Netcool Precision IP.  Precision IP was born from RiverSofts OpenRiver product which was first released in 1998.  This product did layer 2 and layer 3 discovery, hence Precision IP has nearly 10 years experience of layer 2 and layer 3 discovery.  Precision IP is deployed in approximately 300 customers world wide, this includes enterprises and service providers.

Precision has 89 discovery agents (and more are always being developed), which cover vendor specific and RFC specific discovery agents e.g.

Vendor specific discovery agents for layers 2 and 3 - Cisco, Extreme, Foundry, Alcatel, Huawei, Juniper, 3Com, Dasan, Nortel etc (there are more)

Tehcnology, RFC specific discovery agents for frame relay, MPLS (including VPLS and pseudo wires), ATM (PNNI and ILMI), 802.1d, 802.1q (i.e. VLANS) etc etc.

Its topological root cause analysis is done automatically without the need to build rules, again this has been tried and tested in layer 2 and layer 3 networks over the last 10 years.

Precision uses the Netcool trap probe, therefore it is ultra scalable and leverages the trap rules that have been included in Netcool for over 10 years.  The trap probe has the broadest collection of rules files available in the OSS space.

In addition, Precision can process syslog messages, and any other event that has been appropraitely configured, that is in Netcool.

Precision is very scalable; it can handle 300,000 elements in one instance ( i.e. interfaces+chassis+vlans).  HP in comparison needs multiple instances to manage this number of elements.

That being said, as you would expect there are a few minor differences between Netview and Precision.  These are mostly in the way in which operators use Netview and Precision.  Development have almost completed the work on importing the NetView configurations into Precision during the installation, therefore making the upgrade process a lot easier.

Nick