nv-l

RE: [NV-L] Tr : NetView v7.1.4 FP3 to FP 5 with Windows compatibility

2006-12-04 18:10:52
Subject: RE: [NV-L] Tr : NetView v7.1.4 FP3 to FP 5 with Windows compatibility
From: "Claire Bajelis" <Claire.Bajelis AT bendigobank.com DOT au>
To: "Tivoli NetView Discussions" <nv-l AT lists.ca.ibm DOT com>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2006 09:51:14 +1100
Hi Denis,

How about some unsolicited feedback from a frontline newbie?

I've been using NV 7.1.4 (FP4) on Windows 2003 Standard Edition for
close to a year.  Whilst I did have some issues, I've learnt how to
avoid them in the future.

The first big problem I had was the server that I had inherited was
administered via Windows Remote Desktop Connection. This meant that my
various databases were corrupted and I had all sorts of object problems.
After a lengthy PMR, a fresh install was recommended. Since then, I use
Tivoli Remote Control for my day-to-day tasks and have had no further
object problems.

The second issue I had was because I was using the default MS Access
install for my snmpcollect database, this meant I had to regularly
compact the database and basically, it just became painful as it would
fill my nv.log every three days with Access errors.

Another "gotcha" is the files I had to copy of from \usr\ov\newconfig to
get TEC forwarding working properly for devices with dozens of
interfaces.

The lack of correlation in the Windows version is annoying but that
wouldn't vary between Windows versions.

Honestly, had I paid meticulous attention to every detail in the release
notes, I could have avoided these problems.
(I also expect to get paid out at the next Melbourne TUG meeting now
that I have admitted my newbish mistakes!)

Whilst, I have since upgraded to 7.1.5 (using DB2) because I have new
hardware, I had 7.1.4 (FP4) running quite nicely on Win2k3 :)

Hope this helps,
Claire Bajelis