nv-l

Re: [NV-L] Questions and comments from the NetView 7.1.5 webcast

2006-11-17 14:43:59
Subject: Re: [NV-L] Questions and comments from the NetView 7.1.5 webcast
From: James Shanks <jshanks AT us.ibm DOT com>
To: Tivoli NetView Discussions <nv-l AT lists.ca.ibm DOT com>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 14:39:56 -0500

I cannot answer all of Jane's questions but I do know a few things about the new features. I'll let Bruce dig up the rest.

She asked
4) There looks to be some really neat information powering ITM 6
workspaces (like graphs of Trap Queue size and Ping / SNMP latency).
How is this information gathered from NetView (scripts??) and can these
methods by used by folk who don't yet have ITM 6??  Where would we find
them??

There is a new directory, /usr/OV/itm, and the various daemons that have been internally instrumented for ITM, write files there, in response to the receipt of the netmon action trap with specific new values. For example, trapd creates /usr/OV/itm/discoveryAndDeletes.out, and writes total traps discovered and deleted to it in response to netmon action 745. He also creates /usr/OV/itm/totalTraps.out and writes the total number traps and non-Netview traps to it in response to netmon action 746. And for netmon action 747 he writes the current trap queue size out to /usr/OV/itm/trapQueueSize.out. So I think you can pull all this information without ITM by issuing the appropriate netmon -a [num] command. I'm assuming that the same mechanism is used for the netmon latency but I don't know the details.

Bruce's presentation did a good job on highlighting the new features. There have been some updates to old stuff as well, such as much more comprehensive vendor enumerations, entries in oid_to_type and oid_to_sym, a few new MIBs and traps people have asked for, an environment variable to have trapd flush his log on every write so that you don't have to wait for the next trap to arrive in order to see the previous one in slow environments, and an enhancement to mib2trap when you ask for a matching baroc file.

When a baroc file is requested on the mib2trap command, instead of the old default format, "Trap received from enterprise $E with $# arguments" it will list the object variable names from the MIB, as <mib object a> = $1, <mib_object b> =$2, and so on, so that the result is much more meaningful. This is the same kind of thing that the --mib2Trap option of the java loader (mibloader.sh | bat) does. But the stand-alone version will also add those MIB objects as slots on the event sent to TEC and build a baroc file with matching string constants generated for those MIB object names On Windows, it will also automatically generate matching OID and CDS files that you can cut and paste into your tecad_nv6k definitions.

Hopefully, you will find miscellaneous improvements like these and other little "easter eggs" all throughout the product.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and Windows
Network Availability Management
Network Management - Development
Tivoli Software, IBM Corp