nv-l

Re: [NV-L] mibs

2006-11-14 11:35:02
Subject: Re: [NV-L] mibs
From: James Shanks <jshanks AT us.ibm DOT com>
To: Tivoli NetView Discussions <nv-l AT lists.ca.ibm DOT com>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 11:32:47 -0500

I'm not certain I know what you are asking.

A MIB by definition is source code and is human readable, but like the source code of a program, it is not always easy to see how the parts relate.

Perhaps what would help is if you loaded the MIB into one of the MIB databases, using either xnmloadmib for SNMPv1-only MIBs, or xnmloadmib2 for both SNMPv1 and SNMPv2 MIBS. Then you can bring up the corresponding browser, xnmbrowser for SNMPv1-only, or xnmbrowser2, depending on which loader you used, and follow down the path of the MIB objects. At any point you can click on the "Describe" button to the right and it will pop-up a window to tell you the MIB OID for that object and what description we stored for it when it was loaded (if any was provided in the MIB).

There is also a site on the web which will search MIBs by term or OID, and even show you the tree. Try the search engine at http://www.mibdepot.com/index.shtml

The only catch is that they have to have the MIB in their database.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and Windows
Network Availability Management
Network Management - Development
Tivoli Software, IBM Corp
Inactive hide details for "Kain, Becki \(B.\)" <bkain1 AT ford DOT com>"Kain, Becki \(B.\)" <bkain1 AT ford DOT com>

          "Kain, Becki \(B.\)" <bkain1 AT ford DOT com>
          Sent by: nv-l-bounces AT lists.ca.ibm DOT com

          11/14/2006 10:58 AM
          Please respond to
          Tivoli NetView Discussions <nv-l AT lists.ca.ibm DOT com>

<nv-l AT lists.ca.ibm DOT com>

cc

"Archer, Walker \(W.A.\)" <warcher1 AT ford DOT com>

Subject

[NV-L] mibs

Is there a tool to take a mib and make it human readable - for the traps and the actual content of the mib, beyond just mib2trap? Thanks_______________________________________________
NV-L mailing list
NV-L AT lists.ca.ibm DOT com
Unsubscribe:NV-L-leave AT lists.ca.ibm DOT com
http://lists.ca.ibm.com/mailman/listinfo/nv-l (Browser access limited to internal IBM'ers only)

GIF image

GIF image

GIF image