nv-l

Re: [NV-L] Trap -> external program ???

2006-11-13 14:55:11
Subject: Re: [NV-L] Trap -> external program ???
From: Michael D Schleif <mds AT helices DOT org>
To: nv-l AT lists.ca.ibm DOT com
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 13:45:20 -0600
* James Shanks <jshanks AT us.ibm DOT com> [2006:11:13:12:47:41-0500] scribed:
> You haven't provided enough information to answer this question in
> detail.
>
> What is the external program and what form does it want the
> information in?

The program has not yet been written, since I do not yet know what the
input can look like.

One of our customers wants us to simply LOG Trap information for a
handful of specific Traps, so that they can analyze historical data as
required.  NO, we are NOT interested in building a formal database at
this time.

So, the program will probably be a Perl program.  It will be best if
Netview can process the actual Trap into some semblance of human
readable form; but, we can also process binary data in said program.

> Is it on the same machine or some other one?

OK, fair enough.  For simplicity, assume that the program resides local
to NV.

> In binary, like the trap comes off the wire, unformatted by NetView?

Preferably not (see above.)

> Or do you want to extract certain detail and pass them to a program
> through an API, as for example:
>   myprogram.exe  "hostname trap is about"  "varbind1 in ascii" "varbind2 in
> ascii"
> and so on.

We would prefer to LOG ALL non-empty Trap fields (e.g., varbinds).  We
prefer NOT to guess at, nor heavily analyze at configuration time, the
Traps to be logged.  When the customer later asks to add other Traps to
this process, we hope that this process is already generic enough to
handle new Traps as-is.

> If the latter then you can configure that in trapd.conf using Trap Settings

Can trapd.conf be setup in this "generic" manner?  Where is that
function "in ascii" documented?

Thank you, for your participation in this matter.

What do you think?

> James Shanks
> Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and Windows
> Network Availability Management
> Network Management - Development
> Tivoli Software, IBM Corp
<snip />