nv-l

Re: [NV-L] Email Rule for Windows 7.1.4

2006-09-26 16:35:44
Subject: Re: [NV-L] Email Rule for Windows 7.1.4
From: James Shanks <jshanks AT us.ibm DOT com>
To: Tivoli NetView Discussions <nv-l AT lists.ca.ibm DOT com>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 16:34:04 -0400

Ronnie,

I don't think this is a good idea. Your best bet is to open a problem to Support and let them build you a complete rule on UNIX and help you modify it for Windows. The implementation on Windows make it seem as though editing one of these files with Wordpad is an easy thing to do, but it is not. There are lots of little gotchas because some of the parameters are positional and others were meant for the GUI editor on UNIX. So if you can't get this to work, then you'll have to talk to Support, like it or not. But here's my best shot.

After your query collection you need a pointer to the next node, a UserExit. That pointer will have a number after it. That number has to match the User Exit definition, like this (see UserExit6).

NVQryColl5 NVQryColl UserExit6
Origin My_Nodes 1 ""
UserExit6 UserExit
" c:\usr\ov\bin\nvmail.exe -server mailbox.raleigh.ibm.com -recipient jshanks AT us.ibm DOT com -subject %"test message%" -message %"This is a test.%"" 0 0 0 ""

The next line after
NVQryColl5 NVQryColl UserExit6
contains the details of your NVQRYColl so ti does not matter that they do not match the example here. I would not expect them to.

Then you have the definition of the UserExit, and the details after that.

I have not tested this. I cannot. IBM management policy prohibits me from taking user problems directly from the list. They have to come through Support. So if you cannot get this to work, then that's where you will have to go next.

HTH,

James Shanks
Level 3 Support for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and Windows
Network Availability Management
Network Management - Development
Tivoli Software, IBM Corp
Inactive hide details for ronald.ross AT springswindowfashions DOT comronald.ross AT springswindowfashions DOT com

          ronald.ross AT springswindowfashions DOT com
          Sent by: nv-l-bounces AT lists.ca.ibm DOT com

          09/26/2006 03:43 PM
          Please respond to
          Tivoli NetView Discussions <nv-l AT lists.ca.ibm DOT com>

Tivoli NetView Discussions <nv-l AT lists.ca.ibm DOT com>

cc

Subject

[NV-L] Email Rule for Windows 7.1.4

James,
I stripped out all of my actions and I can now get the rule to install
without errors on NetView 7.1.4 for Windows.

My Rule looks for NetView events for Node Down/Node UP and Interface
Down/Interface UP (TrapID and AddrDelay), then it trys to ping
(CheckRoute), then it does a SmartSet query (NVQryColl).  The last step I
want to do is send an e-mail with an in-line action.

What does one look like?

Does anybody have the couple of lines that make up that part of a rule?

GIF image

GIF image

GIF image